[Python-Dev] Adventures with Decimal

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri May 20 23:40:48 CEST 2005

[Raymond Hettinger]
> The word deviate inaccurately suggests that we do not have
> a compliant method which, of course, we do.  There are two
> methods, one context aware and the other context free.  The
> proposal is to change the behavior of the context free version,
> treat it as a bug, and alter it in the middle of a major release.

I didn't suggest changing this for 2.4.2.  Although, now that you
mention it ... <wink>.

>  The sole argument resembles bible thumping.

I'm sorry, but if you mentally reduced everything I've written about
this to "the sole argument", rational discussion has become impossible
here.

In the meantime, I've asked Mike Cowlishaw what his intent was, and
what the standard may eventually say.  I didn't express a preference
to him.  He said he'll think about it and try to get back to me by
Sunday.