[Python-Dev] AST branch patches (was Re: PEP 342/343 status?)

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sat May 28 20:52:17 CEST 2005

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>>Brett C. wrote:
>>

>>>I noticed Nick's PEP is still not
>>>up.  Probably too busy with that fix for genexps in the AST branch, huh, Nick?  =)
>>
>>Something like that. . . still, I finally got around to fixing the formatting in
>>the text file and sending it back to David :)
>

> Add to that AST patches for the genexp scoping, lambda nested args and
> creation of distinct code objects for lambdas defined on different
> lines. I guess I finally got over the Python overdose resulting from
> trying to keep up with the PEP 340 discussion :)

Wow!  Thanks, Nick!  Now I am the slacker.  =)

To give you and everyone else a general timeline on the AST stuff, I am coming
up on the last week of school for me.  After this upcoming week I have a week
to pack, graduation weekend, and then I start my internship in the Bay Area.
My hope is to put in at least an hour into Python every other night after work
(although, knowing me, that hour will morph into three hours at least  =).  I
am planning to split this time between the AST branch, reworking the dev docs
at python.org/dev, and finally writing the Python 3000 exceptions reorg PEP.  I
am hoping to making some decent headway on the branch this summer before I
leave for UBC.

For those of you who want to keep track of the progress of the AST branch,
there is a running tracker item, bug #1191458
(http://www.python.org/sf/1191458), that lists the currently failing tests.
Once that bug report is closed then the AST is semantically complete.  I do,
though, want to go through and clean up the syntax to match PEP 7 specs before
it gets merged into the mainline once it is semantically working.

-Brett