[Python-Dev] python-dev sprint at PyCon

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Nov 1 19:02:09 CET 2005

At 10:22 AM 11/1/2005 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>* PEP 328 - absolute/relative import

I assume that references to 2.4 in that PEP should be changed to 2.5, and
so on.

It also appears to me that the PEP doesn't record the issue brought up by
some people about the current absolute/relative ambiguity being useful for
packaging purposes.  i.e., being able to nest third-party packages such
that they end up seeing their dependencies, even though they're not
installed at the "root" package level.

For example, I have a package that needs Python 2.4's version of pyexpat,
and I need it to run in 2.3, but I can't really overwrite the 2.3 pyexpat,
so I just build a backported pyexpat and drop it in the package, so that
the code importing it just ends up with the right thing.

Of course, that specific example is okay since 2.3 isn't going to somehow
grow absolute importing.  :)  But I think people brought up other examples
besides that, it's just the one that I personally know I've done.