[Python-Dev] a different kind of reduce...

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Nov 1 22:40:40 CET 2005

> [Greg Ewing]
> > Maybe ** should be defined for functions so that you
> > could do things like
> >
> >    up3levels = dirname ** 3

[Raymond Hettinger]
> Hmm, using the function's own namespace is an interesting idea.  It
> might also be a good place to put other functionals:
>
>    results = f.map(data)
>    newf = f.partial(somearg)

Sorry to rain on everybody's parade, but I don't think so. There are
many different types of callables. This stuff would only work if they
all implemented the same API. That's unlikely to happen. A module with
functions to implement the various functional operations has much more
potential.