[Python-Dev] PYTHOPN_API_VERSION

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 3 23:08:55 CET 2005

Thomas Heller wrote:
> Shouldn't PYTHON_API_VERSION be different between 2.3 and 2.4?
> It is 1012 in both versions.
>
> I tried to detect whether PyTuple_Pack is supported, which was added in
> 2.4. Or is this only to detect changed apis, and not added apis?

It's meant to detect changes that can break existing binary modules.
In most cases, this would be changed structs.
Whether such changes happened between 2.3 and 2.4, I don't know.

If you want to ask whether a certain function is present, either use
autoconf, or check for the Python (hex) version where it was first
introduced.

Regards,
Martin