[Python-Dev] Why should the default hash(x) == id(x)?

Noam Raphael noamraph at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 01:03:22 CET 2005

On 11/5/05, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> More generally, I claim that the current behaviour is better than
> *any* alternative. To refute this claim, you would have to come
> up with an alternative first.

The alternative is to drop the __hash__ method of user-defined classes
(as Guido already decided to do), and to make the default __eq__
method compare the two objects' __dict__ and slot members.

See the thread about default equality operator - Josiah Carlson posted
there a metaclass implementing this equality operator.

Noam