[Python-Dev] Inconsistent behaviour in import/zipimport hooks

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Nov 9 16:39:29 CET 2005

Maybe it makes more sense to deprecate .pyo altogether and instead
have a post-load optimizer optimize .pyc files according to the
current optimization settings?

Unless others are interested in this nothing will happen.

I've never heard of a third party making their code available only as
.pyo, so the use case for changing things isn't very strong. In fact
the only use cases I know for not making .py available are in
situations where a proprietary "canned" application is distributed to
end users who have no intention or need to ever add to the code.

--Guido