[Python-Dev] Event loops, PyOS_InputHook, and Tkinter

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Thu Nov 10 14:47:00 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 00:40 -0500, Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:
> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> >    Michiel> What is the advantage of Tk in comparison to other GUI
> >    Michiel> toolkits?
[...]
> My application doesn't need a toolkit at all. My problem is that because
> of Tkinter being the standard Python toolkit, we cannot have a decent
> event loop in Python. So this is the disadvantage I see in Tkinter.
[...]

I'm kind of surprised no-one has mentioned Twisted in this thread.

Twisted is an async-framework that I believe has support for using a
variety of different event-loops, including Tkinter and wxWidgets, as
well as it's own.

It has been heavily re-factored many times, so if you want to see the
current Python "state of the art" way of doing this, I'd be having a
look at what they are doing.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/