[Python-Dev] Building Python with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

Christos Georgiou tzot at mediconsa.com
Thu Nov 10 20:29:45 CET 2005

I didn't see any mention of this product in the Python-Dev list, so I
thought to let you know.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download/

There is also a link for a CD image (.img) file to download.

I am downloading now, so I don't know yet whether Python compiles with it
without any problems.  So if anyone has previous experience, please reply.

PS
This page (
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/faq/default.aspx#pricing )
says that if you download it until Nov 7, 2006, it's a gift --the Microsoft
VC++ compiler for free (perhaps a cut-down version).

Bits from the FAQ:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/faq/default.aspx

4. Can be used even for commercial products without licensing restrictions
40. It includes the optimizing compiler (without stuff like Profile Guided
Optimizations)
41. Builds both native and managed applications (you 99% need to download
the SDK too)
42. No MFC or ATL included