[Python-Dev] Building Python with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

Christos Georgiou tzot at mediconsa.com
Thu Nov 10 20:29:45 CET 2005

I didn't see any mention of this product in the Python-Dev list, so I
thought to let you know.

There is also a link for a CD image (.img) file to download.

I am downloading now, so I don't know yet whether Python compiles with it
without any problems.  So if anyone has previous experience, please reply.

This page (
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/faq/default.aspx#pricing )
says that if you download it until Nov 7, 2006, it's a gift --the Microsoft
VC++ compiler for free (perhaps a cut-down version).

Bits from the FAQ:

4. Can be used even for commercial products without licensing restrictions
40. It includes the optimizing compiler (without stuff like Profile Guided
41. Builds both native and managed applications (you 99% need to download
the SDK too)
42. No MFC or ATL included