[Python-Dev] str.dedent

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Nov 13 18:51:47 CET 2005

> You are missing a point here: string methods were introduced
> to make switching from plain 8-bit strings to Unicode easier.

Is it the only purpose ?
I agree with the OP that using string methods is much nicer and more
convenient than having to import separate modules.
Especially, it is nice to just type help(str) in the interactive prompt
and get the list of supported methods.

Also, these methods are living in the namespace of the supported
objects. It feels very natural, and goes hand in hand with Python's
object-oriented nature.

(just my 2 cents - I am not arguing for or against the specific case of
dedent, by the way)

Regards

Antoine.