[Python-Dev] Event loops, PyOS_InputHook, and Tkinter

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Mon Nov 14 20:00:56 CET 2005

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> I wonder why nobody has suggested a seperate thread for managing the
> GUI and
> using the hook in Python's event loop to issue the call to update_plot.

Ha. That's probably the best solution I've heard so far, short of adding
a Tcl-like event loop API to Python.
There are two remaining issues though:
1) Currently, there's only one PyOS_InputHook. So we're stuck if we find
that some other extension module already set PyOS_InputHook. An easy
solution would be to have an PyOS_AddInputHook/PyOS_RemoveInputHook API,
and let Python maintain a list of input hooks to be called.
2) All extension modules have to agree to return immediately from a call
to the hook function. Tkinter currently does not do this.

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics