[Python-Dev] s/hotshot/lsprof

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Nov 21 08:12:53 CET 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> is this some intrinsic property of profilers?  if the existing tool has
> problems, why not improve the tool itself?  do we really need CADT-
> based development in the standard library?

It is, IMO, intrinsic to parts of the library that aren't used much.
If bugs are in the heavily-used parts of the library, like regular
expressions, it doesn't matter much if the original author goes
away for some period of time - other contributors will fix the bugs
that they care about, and not by rewriting the entire thing.

If the library is less used, this kind of model is more likely,
as resistance to replacing the existing library will be lower.

> (on the other hand, I'm not sure we need a profiler as part of the
> standard library either, but that's me...)

It's a battery, to some.

Regards,
Martin