[Python-Dev] s/hotshot/lsprof

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Nov 22 15:35:52 CET 2005

Hi Brett,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 11:35:37PM -0800, Brett Cannon wrote:
> (any chance we can replace profile with a wrapper to lsprof
> without much issue?)

Yes.  In fact I am thinking about adding lsprof under the module name
'cProfile', to keep true to the (IMHO) good tradition of pickle/cPickle
and StringIO/cStringIO.

We could also just call it 'profile' and drop the existing profile.py,
but I'm not in favor of that.  Having pure Python equivalent of our
modules is good.  When I am in a good mood I am thinking that it would
instead be fun to rewrite profile.py to look exactly like lsprof.  Not
sure pstats would be that much fun, though, and I can't be bothered by
license issues too much.  However cares can probably derive a pstats
replacement from the Summer of Code project.

A bientot,

Armin.