[Python-Dev] bytes type

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Oct 4 02:50:34 CEST 2005

Le lundi 03 octobre 2005 à 17:42 -0700, Guido van Rossum a écrit :
> I don't see a use case for replace.

> Alternatively, you could always specify Latin-1 as the encoding and
> convert it that way -- I don't think there's any input that can cause
> Latin-1 decoding to fail.

You seem to be right.
« In 1992, the IANA registered the character map ISO-8859-1 (note the
extra hyphen), a superset of ISO/IEC 8859-1, for use on the Internet.
This map assigns control characters to the code values 00-1F, 7F, and
80-9F. It thus provides for 256 characters via every possible 8-bit
value. »