[Python-Dev] Python 2.5 and ast-branch

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at verizon.net
Fri Oct 7 02:26:07 CEST 2005

> Unless I'm missing something, we would need to merge HEAD to the AST
> branch once more to pick up the changes in MAIN since the last merge,
> and then make sure everything in the AST branch is passing the test
> suite.  Otherwise we risk having MAIN broken for awhile following a
> merge.

IMO, merging to the head is a somewhat dangerous strategy that doesn't
have any benefits.  Whether done on the head or in the branch, the same
amount of work needs to be done.

If the stability of the head is disrupted, it may impede other
maintenance efforts because it is harder to test bug fixes when the test
suites are not passing.