[Python-Dev] Proposed changes to PEP 343

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Oct 7 18:12:31 CEST 2005

Nick Coghlan wrote:

> That's not what the decorator is for - it's there to turn the generator used
> to implement the __with__ method into a context manager, rather than saying
> anything about decimal.Context as a whole.

possibly, but using a decorated __with__ method doesn't make much
sense if the purpose isn't to turn the class into something that can be
used with the "with" statement.

> However, requiring a decorator to get a slot to work right looks pretty ugly
> to me, too.

the whole concept might be perfectly fine on the "this construct corre-
sponds to this code" level, but if you immediately end up with things that
are not what they seem, and names that don't mean what the say, either
the design or the description of it needs work.

 ("yes, I know you can use this class to manage the context, but it's not
really a context manager, because it's that method that's a manager, not
the class itself.  yes, all the information that belongs to the context are
managed by the class, but that doesn't make... oh, shut up and read the
PEP")

</F>