[Python-Dev] Python 2.5 and ast-branch

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 7 19:32:29 CEST 2005

On 10/6/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 07:34 PM 10/6/2005 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >How does this sound to the non-AST-branch developers who have to
> >suffer the inevitable post-merge instability? I think it's now or
> >never -- waiting longer isn't going to make this thing easier (not
> >with several more language changes approved: with-statement, extended
> >import, what else...)
>
> Do the AST branch changes affect the interface of the "parser" module?  Or
> do they just add new functionality?

It doesn't affect the parser module.  For now, the same parser is
used, so the parser module can still work the way it does.  If we
changed the parser in the future, well, the parser module would
change, too.  I'd also like to add an analogous ast module that
exposed the abstract syntax tree for manipulation, along the lines of
the parser module.  Not sure if we'll actually get to it for this
release.

Jeremy