[Python-Dev] Autoloading? (Making Queue.Queue easier to use)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Oct 13 05:44:21 CEST 2005

Michael Chermside wrote:

>     # start of module
>     initialized = False
>     def doSomething():
>         if not initialized:
>             initialize()

But how do you do this if the thing in question is a
class rather than a function?

The module could export a function getSomeClass()
that clients were required to use instead of just
referencing the class, but that would be klunky
in the extreme.

BTW, I agree that special *syntax* isn't necessarily
needed. But it does seem to me that some sort of
hook is needed somewhere to make this doable
smoothly, that doesn't exist today.