[Python-Dev] LOAD_SELF and SELF_ATTR opcodes

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sat Oct 15 10:17:36 CEST 2005

"Phillip J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:

> Indeed, even pystone doesn't do much attribute access on the first argument
> of most of its functions, especially not those in inner loops.  Only
> Proc1() and the Record.copy() method do anything that would be helped by
> SELF_ATTR.  But it seems to me that this is very unusual for
> object-oriented code, and that more common uses of Python should be helped
> a lot more by this.

Is it that unusual though?  I don't think it's that unreasonable to
suppose that 'typical smalltalk code' sends messages to self a good
deal more often than 'typical python code'.  I'm not saying that this
*is* the case, but my intuition is that it might be (not all Python
code is that object oriented, after all).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  The source passes lint without any complaint (if invoked with