[Python-Dev] Simplify lnotab? (AST branch update)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Oct 15 11:58:12 CEST 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 08:07 PM 10/14/2005 +1300, Greg Ewing wrote:
>
>> More straightforwardly, the second table could just be a
>> bytecode -> file number mapping.
>
> That would use more space in any case involving multiple files.

Are you sure? Most of the time you're going to have
chunks of contiguous lines coming from the same file,
and the bytecode->filename table will only have an
entry for the first bytecode of the first line of
each chunk. I don't see how that works out differently
from mapping bytecodes->lines and then lines->files.

> That'd probably work.

Greg