[Python-Dev] Proposed resolutions for open PEP 343 issues

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Oct 25 22:35:14 CEST 2005

[Eric "are all your pets called Eric?" Nieuwland]
> >> Hmmm... Would it be reasonable to introduce a ProtocolError exception?

[Guido]
> > And which perceived problem would that solve?

[Eric]
> It was meant to be a bit more informative about what is wrong.
>
> ProtocolError: lacks __enter__ or __exit__

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. :)

I find "AttributeError: __exit__" just as informative. In either case,
if you know what __exit__ means, you'll know what you did wrong. And
if you don't know what it means, you'll have to look it up anyway. And
searching for ProtocolError doesn't do you any good -- you'll have to
learn about what __exit__ is and where it is required.