[Python-Dev] Parser and Runtime: Divorced!

Evan Jones ejones at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Oct 27 02:02:54 CEST 2005

After a few hours of tedious and frustrating hacking I've managed to
separate the Python abstract syntax tree parser from the rest of Python
itself. This could be useful for people who may wish to build Python
tools without Python, or tools in C/C++.

In the process of doing this, I came across a comment mentioning that
it would be desirable to separate the parser. Is there any interest in
doing this? I now have a vague idea about how to do this. Of course,
there is no point in making changes like this unless there is some
tangible benefit.

I will make my ugly hack available once I have polished it a little bit
more. It involved hacking header files to provide a "re-implementation"
of the pieces of Python that the parser needs (PyObject, PyString, and
PyInt). It likely is a bit buggy, and it doesn't support all the types
(notably, it is missing support for Unicode, Longs, Floats, and
Complex), but it works well enough to get the AST from a few simple
strings, which is what I wanted.

Evan Jones

--
Evan Jones