[Python-Dev] PEP 352 Transition Plan

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at verizon.net
Sat Oct 29 04:55:37 CEST 2005

[Nick Coghlan]
> Another point in PEP 352's favour, is that it makes it far more
feasible
> implement something like PEP 344 by providing "__traceback__" and
> "__prev_exc__" attributes on BaseException.
>
> The 'raise' statement could then take care of setting them
appropriately
> if it
> was given an instance of BaseException to raise.

IMO, there is no reason to take e.args out of the Py2.x series.
Take-aways should be left for Py3.0.  The existence of a legitimate use
case means that there may be working code in the field that would be
broken unnecessarily.  Nothing is gained by this breakage.

If 344 gets accepted and implemented, that's great.  Either way, there
is no rationale for chopping this long standing feature before 3.0.
IIRC, that was the whole point of 3.0 -- we could take out old stuff
that had been replaced by new and better things; otherwise, we would
simply deprecate old-style classes and be done with it in Py2.5 or
Py2.6.

Raymond