[Python-Dev] Parser and Runtime: Divorced!

Evan Jones ejones at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Oct 31 00:19:41 CET 2005

On Oct 26, 2005, at 20:02, Evan Jones wrote:
> In the process of doing this, I came across a comment mentioning that
> it would be desirable to separate the parser. Is there any interest in
> doing this? I now have a vague idea about how to do this. Of course,
> there is no point in making changes like this unless there is some
> tangible benefit.

I am going to assume that since no one was excited about my post, that
the answer is: no, there is no interest in seperating the parser from
the rest of the Python run time.

At any rate, if anyone is looking for a standalone C Python parser
library, you can get it at the following URL. It includes a "print the
tree" example that displays the AST for a specified file. It only
supports a subset of the parse tree (assignment, functions, print,
return), but it should be obvious how it could be extended.

http://evanjones.ca/software/pyparser.html

Evan Jones

--
Evan Jones