[Python-Dev] Proof of the pudding: str.partition()

LD "Gus" Landis ldlandis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 05:10:14 CEST 2005

Hi,

FTR, I was not implying the $PIECE() was an answer at all, but only
suggesting it as an alternative name to .partition().  .piece() can be
both a verb and a noun as can .partition(), thus overcoming Nick's
objection to a "noun"ish thing doing the work of a "verb"ish thing.

Also, IIRC, I did say it would need to be "Pythonified". I pointed to the
official definition of $PIECE() merely to show that it was more than a
.split() as it has (sort of) some of the notion of a slice.

Phillip, I think, as I presented the $PIECE() thing, you were totally
justified to recoil in horror.  That said, it would be nice if there were
a way to "save" the result of the .partition() result in a way that would
not require duplicating the .partition() call (as has been suggested)
making things like:
    ... s.partition(":").head, s.partition(":").tail
unnecessary.  One could get accustomed to the
  _,_,tail = s.partition(...)
style I suppose, but it seems a bit "different", IMO.  Also, it seems
that the interference with i18n diminishes the appeal of that style.

Cheers,
  --ldl

--
LD Landis - N0YRQ - from the St Paul side of Minneapolis