[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Charles Cazabon python at discworld.dyndns.org
Thu Sep 1 22:42:52 CEST 2005

Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> > And good riddance! The print statement harks back to ABC and even
> > (unvisual) Basic. Out with it!

I'm with Guido on this, BTW.

> After reviewing the PEP 3000 notes, I can find no justification there
> for removing "print"

Well, how about the fact that basically all of Python's statements are for
implementing logic (if, while, etc), controlling flow (return, yield, try,
etc), and defining structure (def, class, etc).  `print` stands pretty much
alone as a statement which does none of these things -- in fact, it does
nothing for the program but merely has the interesting side-effect of writing
to stdout.

It's an anomaly.  It stands out in the language as a sore thumb waiting for
Guido's hammer.

Charles