[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Sep 1 23:13:41 CEST 2005

> Providing you can live with adding a pair of parentheses to that, you can
> have:
>
>    def print(*args):
>       sys.stdout.write(' '.join(args) + '\n')
>
> I think the language would be cleaner if it lacked this weird exception for
> `print`.

Charles,

I agree that it would be cleaner.  I just don't think cleanliness is
all that interesting -- usefulness trumps it every time.  And if
cleanliness was the answer, there would be larger changes to make --
like removing all the syntax variations by standardizing on a common
syntax like Lisp's.

Bill