[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Sep 2 13:50:48 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 17:49, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> That is absolutely true, print is becoming less and less useful in
> the context of GUI or web applications.

I know we're dinosaurs, but some of us still write console apps in
Python!

> Even in Just Debugging
> scenarios, you're probably better off using something with more
> flexibility, such as the logging module.

The logging module is great, but logging and debugging are two different
things (although that fact is obscured when you don't have a console).

print is useful in scenarios other than debugging.  And while I do
occasionally use it, I wouldn't be too heartbroken if the trailing comma
form were lost.  I /would/ mourn the loss of print>> though -- not
necessarily the syntax, which was clearly a compromise, but the
functionality.  If we could have spelled it "print to sys.stderr" we
would have.

-Barry