[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Charles Cazabon python at discworld.dyndns.org
Fri Sep 2 16:20:44 CEST 2005

Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

> >    print('foo:', foo, 'bar:', bar, 'baz:', baz,
> >          'frobble', frobble)
> >
> > To my (admittedly biased) eyes, the second version more obviously
> > prints to a single line.
>
> next use case:
>
>     print 'foo:', foo, 'bar:', bar, 'baz:', baz,
>     if frobble > 0:
>         print 'frobble', frobble
>     else:
>         print 'no frobble today'

The need to print /and/ not add a newline isn't nearly as common.  print()
could take a keyword parameter to skip the newline, or ...

  print('foo:', foo, 'bar:', bar, 'baz:', baz,
        frobble and 'frobble: ' + frobble or 'no frobble today')

Or the user can just use stdout.write and have full control.

Charles