[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 01:54:43 CEST 2005

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     >> And good riddance! The print statement harks back to ABC and even
>     >> (unvisual) Basic. Out with it!
>
>     Barry> I have to strongly disagree.  The print statement is simple, easy
>     Barry> to understand, and easy to use.
>
> I'm with Barry.  Even for non-debug use the print statement is suitable for
> the majority of my output.

99.9% of my Python code is test harnesses to run low-level hardware control
interface tests, for which printing to stdout works perfectly. Maybe one day
I'll stick a GUI on the front end of them, but even then I will probably just
be using subprocess to invoke the command line versions behind the scenes.

Cheers,
Nick.