[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 05:14:54 CEST 2005

On 9/2/05, skip at pobox.com <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

> Nope, but there is a large body of code out there that does use print
> statements already.  Again, I know you're prepared for breakage, but that
> doesn't necessarily mean a completely blank sheet of paper.

Ideally I very much prefer that print become a function.  However, the
major backlash has swayed me some, if for no other reason that people
are so strongly against changing it.

What if a tool existed that did the conversion?  I realize that the
tool is unlikely to be perfect, but what if it could do 99.9% of the
job?  I'm not thinking about just fixing print, but also converting
iterkeys/itervalues/iteritems, xrange -> range, raw_input -> input,
warning about use of input(), etc.

I'm sure this tool wouldn't be perfect, but if it did most of the
work, would that change opinions?