[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 12:07:11 CEST 2005

Tony Meyer wrote:
> [...]
>
>>maybe a few folks can go off and write up a PEP for a
>>print-replacement.
>
> [...]
>
>>I'm pulling out of the
>>discussion until I see a draft PEP.
>

> If there are two competing proposals, then the two groups write a PEP and
> counter-PEP and the PEPs duke it out.  Is this still the case if proposal B
> is very nearly the status quo?
>
> IOW, would writing a "Future of the print statement in Python 3.0" counter
> PEP that kept print as a statement be appropriate?  If not, other than
> python-dev posting (tiring out the poor summary guys <0.5 wink>), what is
> the thing to do?

Keeping print as a statement is certainly one of the options I'm considering,
so I don't think a counter-PEP is warranted just yet. There isn't even a PEP
to be a counter to - it's all still on the Wiki at the moment.

The more I play with it, the more I believe the part I have a problem with is
a weakness in the string formatting for iterables.

The point about not needing parentheses for conditionals where a lot of other
languages require them is a good one - I'm sure I write print statements
nearly as often as I write conditionals.

Cheers,
Nick.