[Python-Dev] reference counting in Py3K

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Sep 7 06:46:09 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum wrote:

>>While we're on the subject of Python 3000, what's the
>>chance that reference counting when calling C
>>functions from Python will go away?
>
> We'd have to completely change the implementation. We're not planning on that.

Also, the refcounting would have to be replaced by
something else that would also be fairly intrusive
on the C interface, such as having to remember to
make all your local variables known to the garbage
collector.

A better plan would be to build something akin to
Pyrex into the scheme of things, so that all the
refcount/GC issues are taken care of automatically.