[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 8 14:42:14 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 15:07, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> I was also able to easily automate the process of extracting strings
> to create that spreadsheet.  I wrote a simple script that parsed the
> Python modules and looked for function calls of "_" whose only
> argument was a constant string.  Worked great, and it was easy to write.

I don't think enough people know about Tools/i18n/pygettext.  It does
all the extractions for you, producing a GNU gettext compatible .pot
file.  You can even teach it to recognize extraction keywords other than
the default _().  printf() should be easy to recognize, although we
might have to make a slight modification since IIRC, pygettext will only
extract strings from keyword functions with exactly one argument.  That
should be easy to fix.

-Barry