[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Tommy Burnette tommy at ilm.com
Thu Sep 8 18:59:28 CEST 2005

Michael Chermside writes:
| Guido writes:
| > Is it worth doing this and completely dropping the %-based formats in
| > Py3k? (Just asking -- it might be if we can get people to get over the
| > shock of $ becoming first class ;-).
|
| In my opinion, YES -- it's worth seriously considering it. A single,
| well-designed solution for string interpolation (with syntactic support
| if needed to make it very easy to use) is FAR better than having one
| good solution and another legacy solution. Just the awkwardness of the
| trailing s in "%(foo)s" is enough to motivate a search for something
| better.

hey folks,

I managed to lose a few days worth of python-dev mail so I'm late to
this discussion, but I thought I'd toss in a few (possibly outlying)
data points form the visual effects/3d animation world.

here at ILM we use python as the expression langauge in a number of 3d
applications, and we usually end up adding a front-end parser so users
can reference variable values inline via $ sytanx.  they're still
essentially writing python code, but with the extra added suger of $