[Python-Dev] Tools directory (Was RE: Replacement for print in Python 3.0)

Brett Cannon bcannon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 03:52:59 CEST 2005

On 9/8/05, Tony Meyer <t-meyer at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> [finding Tools/i18n/pygettext.py]
> > You're right, I think Tools is probably a bad place for
> > anything.  If it's not part of the stdlib, I'll likely never
> > find it.
>
> Agreed.  Maybe with the introduction of -m in Python 2.4, some of the Tools/
> scripts could be put in __main__ sections of appropriate modules?  So that
> "python -m gettext" would be equivilant to "python Tools/i18n/pygettext.py"?
>
> (However, pyggettext.py is 22KB, which is a big addition to the module; not
> everything in Tools/Scripts might be used enough for this, or have an
> appopriate module to be put in either).
>
> Are there other ideas about how Tools/ could be improved?  Either moving
> things, or making it more likely that people will look there for scripts?

I assume that the Windows installer includes the Tools/ directory.  If
it doesn't that is one problem.  =)

Otherwise it is mostly a lack of advertisement and them not being
installed by ``make install``.  If you just download the soure and
install you will never know the directory even exists.  It needs to be
made obvious to people that it is even there.  Probably the only way
is to document the directory.

-Brett