[Python-Dev] Replacement for print in Python 3.0

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 10:16:24 CEST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Greg Ewing wrote:
>

>>Maybe backquotes could be repurposed in Py3k for interpolated
>>string literals?
>

> backquotes are a PITA to type on many non-US keyboards.

Not to mention the annoyingly large number of fonts that make '`' and ''' look
virtually identical :(

Besides, backquotes don't give you a way to supply the values to feed into the
interpolated literal the way string.Template does, or a 'format' builtin would.

This does make me think of the interesting prospect of an internationalised
string literal, though (e.g., _"This an il8n string"). I'm not sure it would
be enough of a win over the status quo though, since doing the language
conversion at compile time could make it interesting to try and switch
languages at run time.

Cheers,
Nick.