[Python-Dev] IDLE development

Noam Raphael noamraph at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 01:54:08 CEST 2005

Hello,

More than a year and a half ago, I posted a big patch to IDLE which
adds support for completion and much better calltips, along with some
other improvements. Since then, I had some mail conversations with
Kurt B. Kaiser, who is responsible for IDLE, which resulted in
nothing. My last mail, from Jul 10, saying (with more details) "I made
the minor changes you asked for, let's get it in, it's not very
complicated" was unanswered.

This is just an example of the fact that IDLE development was
virtually nonexistent in the last months, because most patches were
simply ignored.

I and my colleges use IDLE intensively - that is, a heavily patched
IDLE. It includes my patch and many other improvements made by me and
my friends.

The improved IDLE is MUCH better than the standard IDLE, especially
for interactive work. Since we would like to share our work with the
rest of the world, if nothing is changed we would start a new IDLE
fork soon, perhaps at python-hosting.com.

I really don't like that - maintaining a fork requires a lot of extra
work, and it is certain that many more people will enjoy our work if
it integrated in the standard Python distribution. But sending patches
and watching them stay open despite a continuous nagging is worse.

Please, either convince KBK to invest more time in IDLE development,
or find someone else who would take care of it. If you like, I would
happily help in the development.

I hope I am not sounding offensive. It's actually quite simple: if the
excellent development environment IDLE can't develop inside standard
Python, it should be developed outside it. As I said, I prefer the
first option.

Have a good week,
Noam Raphael