[Python-Dev] IDLE development

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 05:10:56 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Often the needs of certain user groups and the development speeds of
> such 3rd party modules are so different that it simply doesn't make
> sense to fold them in the Python distribution anyway -- consider what
> you would have to do if Kurt accepted your patches: you'll still have
> to wait until Python 2.5 is released before others can benefit from
> your changes, and if you come up with an improvement after that
> release, your next chance will be 18 months later...

Isn't separate distribution the way the *current* version of Idle was
developed? I seem to recall it existing as IDLEFork for a long time so that it
could have a more rapid release cycle before being rolled into the main
distribution.

This approach also allows a wider audience to asess the subjective benefits of
any changes made - many more people will download and try out a separate IDE
than will download and try out a patch to the main distribution. I'm such a
one, even though I believe my main problems with Idle lie in the Tcl/tk
toolkit (so I don't expect any application level changes to alter my opinion
much).

Regards,
Nick.