[Python-Dev] Python 3 executable name (was: Re: PEP 3000 and iterators)

Oren Tirosh orent at hishome.net
Sun Sep 11 19:19:00 CEST 2005

> But just installing python3.0 as python and expecting
> nothing will break is not a goal -- it would be too constraining.

It should be expected that many users will keep both 2.x and 3 side by
side for quite a long time. Instead of having distributions choosing
their own naming schemes (like the python/python2 redhat fiasco)
perhaps the Python 3 executable should have a different name as part
of the standard distribution? I suggest "py" / "py.exe"

  Oren