[Python-Dev] python optimization

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:01:51 CEST 2005

I use cpython.  I'm accustomed (from c++/gcc) to a style of coding that is
highly readable, making the assumption that the compiler will do good
things to optimize the code despite the style in which it's written.  For
example, I assume constants are removed from loops.  In general, an entity
is defined as close to the point of usage as possible.

I don't know to what extent these kind of optimizations are available to
cpython.  For example, are constant calculations removed from loops?  How
about functions?  Is there a significant cost to putting a function def
inside a loop rather than outside?