[Python-Dev] Python 2.5a1, ast-branch and PEP 342 and 343

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 16 19:29:14 CEST 2005

I think this is mainly a question for Guido - where do we stand with respect
to the ast-branch for Python 2.5?

If we're targetting a March release for 2.5a1, then we probably need to land
implementations for PEP 342 and PEP 343 at least a couple of months before
that, and the current patches on Sourceforge are against HEAD, not ast-branch
(for obvious reasons).

So, not only does ast-branch need to be brought up to Python 2.4 compliance
and checked for any memory leaks when compilation attempts fail (I suspect
there are a few of those), but additional work is needed to implement PEP 342
and PEP 343 as well.

For Python 2.4, Guido gave a target date well before the first alpha release
for landing the ast-branch if it was going to be included. Is the same thing
going to happen for Python 2.5 (setting the target date, that is - not the
fact that the ast-branch didn't get included!)

Cheers,
Nick.