[Python-Dev] "and" and "or" operators in Py3.0

Brett Cannon bcannon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 20:28:48 CEST 2005

On 9/20/05, Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:
> I _like_ the explanation of 'and' and 'or' as they are now.  They are
> basically control flow constructs -- and have to be to get
> short-circuiting to work -- and adding a coercion to bool at the end
> seems to add complexity, not reduce it (on some levels, anyway).

If you change the definition of 'and' and 'or' to be boolean
comparison operators (as Raymond is proposing) and not as control flow
constructs then is it really that complicated?  I think it would
actually simplify things very slightly since you just say a boolean is
returned instead of the last executed expression by the operator.

> > P.S.  Simplifying "and" and "or" may create a need to introduce a
> > conditional operator but that is a discussion for another day.
> ... which was in the past, I thought.

It was, but changing 'and' and 'or' does tweak the usefulness of a
conditional operator.