[Python-Dev] os.path.diff(path1, path2)

Wolfgang Lipp paragate at gmx.net
Wed Sep 21 20:11:25 CEST 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 02:55:56 +0200, Greg Ewing
<greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Both of these happen to involve pathnames that exist on
> the currrently available file system, but I can easily
> imagine cases where that would not be so. E.g. I might
> be generating pathames to go into a tar file that will
> be unpacked in a different place or on another system.

imho, it would be a good thing for a future 'file system handling module'
to build more of an abstracted tree-like graph that may or may not be
mappable
(and may or may not be used in a particular case to actually map)
to existing objects on a particular system. for example, i find it
a bit in my way a lot of times that all the locators i have os.path
handle for me are written according to the os, not in a unified,
abstracted way. given that there are a number of applications (xml
documents, file system handling, urls, archives...) that have very similar
requirements, maybe there is a useful abstraction that covers these
and other cases. some nitty-gritty details could be captured by suitable
specializations of the general case.

_w