[Python-Dev] GIL, Python 3, and MP vs. UP

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Sep 21 20:11:01 CEST 2005

On 21-sep-2005, at 0:10, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> My use case for this isn't so much about threads, but plug-ins.
> Writing multiple Python-based plug-ins for an application is always a
> mess, because they share too much (sys.modules, sys.path, etc.).
> PyObjC would benefit greatly from this feature, because you can write
> Python-based plug-ins for any Cocoa app that supports plug-ins, even
> if they're otherwise unaware of Python's existence.  There are
> workarounds, of course, with import hooks and similar hacks.  I think
> that mod_python would also benefit from this, and probably other such
> systems.

For PyObjC having multiple interpreters in a process would cause me
severe headaches. Due to the nature of PyObjC it would be way too
easy to accidently access objects from one interpreter in another
interpreter (in a hypothetical universe where it would be easy to use
multiple interpreters). And lets not get started about the GIL, I
don't think its accidental that PyGILState_Ensure only works with one
interpreter.

A system like Java's classloader would be helpfull, where the
classloader of a class is used to load the classes used by that
class. I have no idea if this can be adapted to python at all. A
strict coding style seems to work for now.

Ronald