[Python-Dev] Mapping Darwin 8.2.0 to Mac OS X 10.4.2 in platform.py

Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wsanchez at apple.com
Thu Sep 22 19:02:05 CEST 2005

   "rhapsody" is emitted by uname on Mac OS X Server 1.x, but not on
anything we ship today.

   Bob's right, the version number from uname only tells you about
the kernel, and not whether, for example, the Cocoa API is on the
system (it wouldn't be on a standalone Darwin OS install, which will
have the same uname output).

   Just FYI, /usr/bin/sw_vers parses /System/Library/CoreServices/
SystemVersion.plist, which is XML.  If you want that info, parsing
the file may be more efficient than forking off sw_vers.

     -wsv