[Python-Dev] GIL, Python 3, and MP vs. UP

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Sep 23 00:51:43 CEST 2005

"Bill Janssen" <janssen at parc.com> wrote in message
news:05Sep22.141518pdt."58617"@synergy1.parc.xerox.com...
> Sokolov Jura writes:
>> It is so simple to write application server in Python.
>> It is so difficult to make it scallable in CPython.
>> CPython will not be wide popular without real multithreading.
>
> He's right.

I think the post is at least somewhat wrong on both technical and
topicalness levels.

On a technical level, the second statement seems wrong as an absolute
statement.  Phillip Eby claims that *some* application servers are easily
scaled even if others are not.  I suspect this is more likely to be the
truth.  In any case, the statement conveys no new technical information
while to me it has the form and emotional load of a flame.

The third statement is an opinion about the indefinite future which is
neither right nor wrong as it stands.  To ever judge it so, we need an
operational definition of 'wide popular' to guide measurement.  By some
standards, Python is already widely popular.  By others, it never will be.

Guido already said that he will consider a high-quality maintainable 'real
threading' patch that proves his scepticism wrong and that is neutral to
beneficial to most all users, so I see little point in further flogging the
issue, at least on this forum.

Terry J. Reedy