[Python-Dev] PEP 350: Codetags

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Sep 27 18:59:26 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> It has always been my choice to *only* use XXX. I hope there aren't
> any developers contributing to the Python core who use any others?

[Python-2.4.1]$ grep FIXME */*.c */*.py | wc -l
     12
[Python-2.4.1]$ grep TODO */*.c */*.py | wc -l
     17
[Python-2.4.1]$ grep XXX */*.c */*.py | wc -l
    525

> I honestly don't see much of a point for distinguishing different types;
> these are for humans to read and review, and different tags just makes
> it harder to grep.

I tend to use FIXME for smelly code, and a collection of TODO:s at the top
of the file for things that someone should work on some day...  (which explains
some, but not all, of the non-XXX:es above...)

</F>