[Python-Dev] Saving the hash value of tuples

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Apr 1 22:37:01 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006, Noam Raphael wrote:

> I've found out that the hash value of tuples isn't saved after it's
> calculated. With strings it's different: the hash value of a string is
> calculated only on the first call to hash(string), and saved in the
> structure for future use. Saving the value makes dict lookup of tuples
> an operation with an amortized cost of O(1).
>  [...]
> I will be happy to send a patch, if someone shows interest.

Regardless of whether anyone shows interest, please submit a patch!  Then
post the URL back here.  That way if someone gets interested in the
future, your code is still available.

"Look, it's your affair if you want to play with five people, but don't
go calling it doubles."  --John Cleese anticipates Usenet