[Python-Dev] I'm not getting email from SF when assigned a bug/patch

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Apr 2 17:31:15 CEST 2006

Brett Cannon wrote:

> > oh, I forgot that the Procrastination & Stop energy Foundation was involved
> > in this.
>
> Fredrik, if you would like to help move this all forward, great; I
> would appreciate the help.  You can write a page scraper to get the
> data out of SF

challenge accepted ;-)

http://effbot.python-hosting.com/browser/stuff/sandbox/sourceforge/

contains three basic tools; getindex to grab index information from a
python tracker, getpages to get "raw" xhtml versions of the item pages,
and getfiles to get attached files.

I'm currently downloading a tracker snapshot that could be useful for
testing; it'll take a few more hours before all data are downloaded
(provided that SF doesn't ban me, and I don't stumble upon more
cases where a certain rhettinger has pasted binary gunk into an
iso-8859-1 form ;-).

    $ python status.py
    tracker-105470
        6681 items
        1201 pages (17%)
        104 files
    tracker-305470
        3610 items
        0 pages (0%)
        0 files
    tracker-355470
        430 items
        430 pages (100%)
        80 files

the final step is to finish the "off-line scraper" library (a straightfor-
ward ET hack), and make a snapshot archive available to interested
parties.  (drop me a line if you want a copy)

> If you would rather contribute by collecting a list of possible
> trackers along with who will maintain it, then please do.  I am not
> going to dive into that quite yet, but if you want to parallelize the
> work needed then I would appreciate the help.

that is what I expected the PSF infrastructure committee to do (I hope
you're not the only one in that committee?); it's a bit disappointing to
hear that we're still stuck on the SF export issue.

(wasn't there someone with backchannel access to the SF data ?)

> The tracker will need to be able to import the SF data somehow (probably will require a
> custom tool so the volunteers need to be aware of this), be able to
> export data (so we can back it up on a regular basis so we don't have
> to go through this again), and an email interface for at least
> replying to tracker items.  A community-wide announcement will
> probably be needed to get a good group of volunteers together for any
> one non-commercial tracker.

> But I am not procrastinating.  I don't think I have ever come off as a
> procrastinator on this list and I don't think I deserve the label.

I wasn't talking about individuals, I was referring to the trend where
PSF moves something off a public forum, and the work just ends up
going nowhere.

</F>